Fall is the perfect time to snuggle up with a good book and what better book than one written by a local author exploring local lore? Did you know that there are authors in Rideau Lakes sharing intriguing stories and fascinating research about heritage within the township? It’s true! In fact, local authors are sharing their talents with readers across Canada and the world – while working to recount the intriguing history and authentic stories of times gone by in Rideau Lakes.
What’s even better, is that these books are available for purchase at the Township of Rideau Lakes office, located at 1439 County Road 8, Delta, ON. Please place an order by email in advance to ensure the best experience by sending a message with your wish list to . Your book order will then be ready for you to pick up during regular office hours, Monday to Friday between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Payment with cash is preferred but debit is also accepted. Discover some of these great reads by local authors:
- Glimpses from Granny's Scrap Book by Mabel Davison - $10
- Memoirs of the Bolton Family, Pioneers in north Leeds, Ontario and prairie Canada 1690-1932, edited by Doug Bond - $10
- South Elmsley in the Making 1783-1983 by James R Kennedy – Free
- Hub of the Rideau: A History of South Crosby Township by Susan Warren - Free
- The Collected Poetry of Mrs. Jennie Moulton, published by the Heritage Society of Bastard and South Burgess Ontario (1999) - $10
- History of the Township of North Crosby & Westport by Neil Patterson - $10
More books are also available from the Delta Mill Society. Furthermore, the PDF versions can be downloaded from the Delta Mill website.
- Building the 1810 Old Stone Mill in Delta, Ontario by Ken W. Watson
• A History of Grist Milling in Delta by Wade Ranford
Still intrigued? There are many more books to pique your interest about local history, such as:
- Cramworthy Chronicles by Barbara Gibson
• History of Leeds and Grenville by Thad WH Leavitt
• Rideau Waterway by Robert Legget
• They Ate What… by Joyce Gunneweik
These books are already sold out, but copies can sometimes be found on eBay:
- Perspectives of a Wedge of Cheddar by Douglas Bond - $20 - Sorry, SOLD OUT!
• My Own Four Walls by Diane Haskins - Sorry, SOLD OUT - find this on eBay
• Leeds & Grenville: Their First Two Hundred Years by Ruth McKenzie - by Donation - Sorry, SOLD OUT!
Be sure to check the local history sections at the Rideau Lakes Public Library for some of these books, as well! The Rideau Lakes Local History Centre is also a treasure trove of photos, stories, family history and local heritage. Located at 18 King Street in Delta, beside the Delta branch of the Rideau Lakes Public Library, the history centre isn’t open to in-person visits at this time, however, online requests can still be made at or simply browse the digital collection.