Never put hazardous waste in your waste or recycling.
Materials such as batteries, paint, oil/gas, fluorescent light bulbs, propane tanks, cleaners, etc. must be disposed of at special depot days.
Hazardous Waste is a waste which, because of its quantity, concentration, or characteristics, may be hazardous to human health or the environment when improperly treated, stored, transported or disposed. Items may be brought to the Household Hazardous Waste Days organized by the County.
Acceptable items include:
- Drain cleaners
- Oven cleaners
- Household detergents, waxes
- Pesticides, fertilizers, herbicides, insecticides
- Rat poison
- Cleaning fluids
- Pool chemicals
- Windshield washer fluid
- Used oil/gasoline (must be in container)
- BBQ starter
- Oils, solvents
- Propane cylinders
- Spent fire extinguishers
Items not accepted as hazardous waste:
- Radioactive Waste
- Lighting Ballasts
- Empty paint cans – scrap steel (lid off & dry)
- Needles/Pathological waste – call a local pharmacy
- Explosives (including flares)
- Empty aerosol cans (waste)
Propane Tanks cannot be accepted at the Portland Transfer Station as they are considered to be hazardous waste. Tanks can be returned to a retailer that sells/services tanks or can be taken to a hazardous waste event.
Household Hazardous Waste Days
Questions or Concerns?
United Counties of Leeds and Grenville
613-342-3840 Ext 2413