Pick up your Picnic
- The Opinicon Dining Room (seasonal)
- Pre-order your Pedal-Paddle-Picnic package with Rideau Tours (seasonal) or 613-583-4783)
- Brown’s Marina General Store (seasonal)
- Chaffey’s Lock Antiques and Collectables
- Cabins and Cottages listed on Airbnb.ca
- Canalview Cottage
- Clear Lake Cottages
- Davis Cottages on the Rideau
- Dorothy’s Lodge (groups)
- Green Valley Cottages
- Indian Lake Marina and Campground
- Rideau Lakes Cottages
- Simmons Cottages
- Sun on the Brow Cottages
- Treetop Cottage (glamping)
Points of Interest
- Chaffey’s Lock Community Hall – This Historic Building was built on bake sales, dances, and raffles, and with nails, boards and labour donated by the community. At the helm of this tremendous community effort was the Chaffey’s Lock Women’s Institute, which succeeded in its goal of opening the Hall in time for the 100th anniversary of the Rideau Canal in 1932.
- Chaffey’s Lockmasters House & Museum (seasonal)
- Chaffey’s Lock Memory Wall & Outdoor Chapel - Heritage Plaque - Located at the entrance to Chaffeys Lock cemetery, the memory wall was erected by the Chaffey’s Lock and area Heritage Society to commemorate the founding, building and continuing life of the community. Buried in this cemetery are Samuel Chaffey and his wife, Mary Ann as well as 79 individuals including Rideau Canal labourers, mostly Irish immigrants, who died in the construction of the Rideau Canal. The stones of the masonry wall hold plaques inscribed with the names of families who settled in this area.
- Chaffeys Lock is home to Queen's University Biological Research Station (QUBS), an offsite campus dedicated to nature studies and host to North America's largest Herbarium
- Heritage Plaque: Chaffey’s Mills – A provincial plaque erected at Chaffeys Lock commemorates Chaffey’s Mills. Falling water powered Sam Chaffey’s extensive milling complex here on the Cataraqui system in the 1820s and a small settlement known as Chaffey’s Mills flourished briefly. However, construction of the Rideau Canal necessitated the demolition and flooding of Chaffey’s mill sites.
- Community Heritage Stew Dinner & Presentation
- Chaffey's Lock & Area Summer Concert Series
- Canada Day at the Lock (July 1)
- Annual Heritage Craft Market
- CLAHS Halloween Festivities (October 31)
- Heritage Christmas Party at Chaffey's Hall (December)
Details on the community calendar
Did you Know?
The construction of the Rideau Canal necessitated the demolition of Chaffey’s mills to make way for the building of the lock and dam. Colonel By purchased the mills from Samuel Chaffey’s widow, Mary Ann and his brother, Benjamin.
Watch the Documentary
Learn about the fascinating story of Fettercairn WWI on Indian Lake
More history, photos, maps and information at rideaulakes.ca/Chaffeys