The FoodCycler™ is a closed-loop indoor compost alternative that speeds up the natural decomposition process through aerobic digestion of waste. The unit dries and grinds food waste into a dry, odorless nutrient-rich by-product that is significantly reduced in weight and volume from its unprocessed state. The product is free from bacteria, weed seeds, and food-borne pathogens that were eliminated during the process.
Benefits of the FoodCycler™:
- Up to 90% volume reduction
- Quiet, compact, odourless operation
- Easy to clean, easy to operate, no special training or skills required
- Quick (compared to composting, the FoodCycler™ processes food waste in hours, instead of months)
- Produces a valuable soil amendment, low in odour, and less attractive to wildlife.
- Reduces greenhouse gas (GHG) impact vs. landfill.
Discussions with Food Cycle Science have indicated that based on previous pilot projects in other municipalities in the area, the Township of Rideau Lakes has the opportunity to divert approximately 20 – 25 Metric Tonnes of organic waste from the landfill per year with just 100 units.