The quaint and historic village of Newboro was built around the Rideau Canal Lockstation in the centre of the village. Don’t miss Kilborn’s; a charming department store with an amazing selection of high-end shoes, apparel, home décor, specialty foods and gift items worth the drive. The character of this community was built on its reputation across North America as a mecca for recreational fishing in summer. Seasonally, stay in your choice of historic Stirling Lodge, The Poplar’s Resort, or Newboro Bed and Breakfast. Nearby retail opportunities that bring people from far and wide include the famous Norris’s Live Bait & Tackle Hunting Centre and Little Rideau Farm’s World Champion Maple Syrup. Be sure to order in advance from The Pie Bar for incredible baked goodness. The Newboro branch of the Rideau Lakes Public library offers public washrooms and free wifi.
Pick up your Picnic
- Jac’s Chip Truck (seasonal) https://www.facebook.com/groups/JACsChipWagon9898/
- Stagecoach Inn http://kilborns.ca/stagecoach/
- Stirling Lodge (seasonal) https://www.stirlinglodge.com/
- Make advance reservations to dine in at Poplar’s Resort (seasonal) https://www.poplarsresort.com/a-day-at-poplars
- Kilborn’s on the Rideau http://kilborns.ca/
- Newboro Soap Company https://www.facebook.com/49Drummondst/
- Old World Antiques & Doucette Farm https://www.rideaulakesdirectory.ca/antiques.html
- Little Rideau Farm (nearby) https://www.facebook.com/littlerideaufarm/
- Norris Outdoors (nearby) https://www.norrisoutdoors.ca/
- Newboro Cycling Routes https://www.rideaulakes.ca/experience/things-to-do/trails-tours/cycling
- Pattison’s Paddles (seasonal SUP and paddle boat rentals) https://pattinsonspaddles.com/
- Norris Outdoors Boat Rentals
- Pickleball at Newboro Memorial Park
Points of Interest
- Cenotaph Park - A heritage plaque and two storyboards tell the history of Newboro and its importance as a centre for sportfishing
- Royal Sappers & Miners Cemetery – Heritage Plaque -The Royal Sappers and Miners - A provincial plaque at The Cemetery of the Royal Sappers and Miners is found appropriately on the west side of the famous Rideau Canal at Newboro. It commemorates the two companies of the British Army’s construction corps, the Royal Sappers and Miners, who were raised to work on the Rideau Canal. They built locks and military structures particularly in Bytown (Ottawa) and here at the Isthmus. This Newboro cut demanded that they hew and blast through an outcrop of Canadian Shield granite, a formidable obstacle to linking the Rideau and the Cataraqui Systems. https://cmea-agmc.ca/rideau-sappers#:~:text=There%20is%20an%20old%20cemetery,used%20to%20survey%20the%20canal.
- Heritage Plaque: The Founding of Newboro - The provincial plaque erected at the War Memorial on Drummond Street (County Rd. 42) in Newboro commemorates the origin of this mecca of crossroads and commerce.
- Newboro Lock http://www.rideau-info.com/canal/locks/36-newboro.html
- Newboro Memorial Park (picnic tables, washrooms, Trails, playground, pavilion) https://www.rideaulakes.ca/experience/things-to-do/beaches-parks
- Gibson Island Vacation Home https://www.rideaulakescottages.com/en/2184866/gibson-island
- Grass Point Lodge B & B https://directory-athens.leedsgrenville.com/Home/View/grass-point-lodge-b-b
- Lakeland Cottages https://www.lakelandcottages.ca/about-us
- Mon O’Kel Cottages http://www.monokelcottages.com/
- Newboro House B & B https://newborohouse.ca/
- Newboro Canalman's Cottage https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/lhn-nhs/on/rideau/activ/camping/maison-house/chalet-newboro-cottage
- Poplar’s Resort https://www.poplarsresort.com/
- Stirling Lodge https://www.stirlinglodge.com/
- Turtle Hill Cottages https://turtlehillcottages.com/
- Upper Narrows Retreat http://uppernarrows.ca/
- Canada Day Parade (July 1)
Did you Know?
- The building adjacent (to Kilborn’s) known as The Stagecoach Inn Restaurant, is the original 1832 residence of Col. John Kilborn. Historically, the village endured devastating fires, through which many of Newboro’s original buildings survived.
Watch the documentary about the fascinating story of The Rideau Canal and the Big Breakthrough
Learn more at rideaulakes.ca/Newboro