Skip to content

To report livestock at large, please contact the Clerk, Mary Ellen Truelove.  Contact details on Staff page.

Livestock Lost to Predators

If you have lost livestock and poultry to certain animal predators, you are entitled to seek compensation under the Ontario Wildlife Damage Compensation Program.

Livestock and poultry producers can make claims to their local municipality to try and recoup losses.

The Municipal Clerk’s Department processes claims for killed or injured livestock caused by wildlife as outlined in the Ontario Wildlife Damage Compensation Program. Provincial regulations establish maximum amounts of compensation.

Steps to Take If You Suspect Your Livestock or Poultry are Injured or Killed by Wildlife:

  • To submit a claim contact a Livestock Valuer within 48 hours of discovering the injury or death of your livestock.
      • Lee Grant             613-359-5938
      • Nicole Halladay   613-340-7029
      • Leslie Welch        613-770-4793
  • Seek veterinary care: If an animal sustained an injury, immediately seek veterinary care or other humane treatment options to prevent further suffering. Veterinary care costs are eligible under this program up to the FMV (Fair Market Value) of the livestock. All receipts and invoices should be saved and submitted with the application.
  • Preserve the injury/kill site: Do not move, destroy or dispose of the carcass(es) or injury/kill-site evidence until the municipal or territorial investigator has investigated and agrees it/they can be destroyed or disposed of. An exception will be made if this contravenes Ontario Regulation 106/09 of the Nutrient Management Act, 2002.
    • Suggested methods of preserving the site include avoid walking in or around the area, placing a tarp over the carcass(es), adding lime around the site, and taking photos of the injuries/carcass(es) and scene.

As part of the application process, the following information will be required to complete a claim:

  • A valid FBRN (Farm Business Registration Number), approved documentation confirming an FBRN exemption, or a confirmation letter provided by the Indian Agricultural Program of Ontario (IAPO).
  • A valid premises identification (PID) number for the site where the kill or damage occurred or a confirmation letter provided by the Indian Agriculture Program of Ontario (IAPO).
  • Owner signature on the application certifying the information provided is true and accurate to the best of his or her knowledge.
  • Indicate on the application whether you wish to provide additional evidence and/or documentation.