Skip to content

beside 1631 Chaffeys Lock Rd

“In Honour of the Irish Workers. This half-acre cemetery became the final resting place for many Irish immigrants who died at Chaffey’s Mills during construction of the Rideau Canal.”

It was used throughout the 19th century as the burial ground for local residents, particularly members of the Simmons and Fleming families.

The cemetery was rehabilitated by members of the Chaffey’s Lock and Area Heritage Society in the 1990s. The area was cleared and 79 grave sites were identified.

Contact:  Bill Murray  613-359-6319

Find a Grave:’s-lock-cemetery

Chaffey’s Lock Interments PDF