Heritage Plaque Program
The Township of Rideau Lakes has a shared-cost Plaque Program for properties listed on the Municipal Heritage Register.
If you would like a plaque for your heritage home, please review the Heritage Plaque Policy and complete the Heritage Plaque Application.
For more information, please contact the Clerk, Mary Ellen Truelove 1-800-928-2250 Ext 293, contact details on Staff page.
Provincial Historic Plaques
Lieutenant-Colonel John By R.E.
A provincial plaque located near the locks at Jones Falls on County Road 11 commemorates the work in Canada of Col. John By (1779 – 1836). Between 1802 and 1811, he helped engineer the building of fortifications at Quebec and small canals on the St. Lawrence. The British military recognized his genius and By returned to British North America to superintend the construction of the Rideau Canal.
A provincial plaque erected at Chaffeys Locks commemorates Chaffey’s Mills. Samuel Chaffey established an extensive milling complex here on the Cataraqui System in the 1820s and a small settlement known as Chaffey’s Mills flourished briefly. However construction of the Rideau Canal necessitated the flooding of the original mill site.
Memory Wall and Outdoor Chapel, Chaffeys Locks
Located at the entrance to the Chaffeys Locks cemetery, the memory wall was erected by the Chaffey’s Lock and Area Heritage Society to commemorate the founding, building and continuing life of the area. Buried in the cemetery are Samuel Chaffey and his wife Mary Ann as well as 79 labourers, mostly Irish immigrants, who died in the construction of the Rideau Canal. The stones of the memory wall hold plaques inscribed to early families who settled in the area.
The Delta Mill erected in 1810, has been commemorated as a National Historic Site by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada. This stone mill is a remarkable example of mill architecture persisting from the times of Upper Canada.
The Founding of Newboro
A provincial plaque erected at the War Memorial on Drummond Street (Highway 42) in Newboro commemorates the founding of Newboro.
A provincial plaque in Philipsville beside Highway 42 commemorates James Philips, an early store and tavern owner in the community. He became active in local politics, rose to prominence as a Reformer in the 1830s and became embroiled in the violence and rebellion of Upper Canada in 1837. James Philips was killed in the Battle of the Windmill in 1838.
Dr. Lorne Pierce
A provincial plaque located on the grounds of the United Church in Delta commemorates Dr. Lorne Pierce, a prolific writer and ardent promoter of Canadian literature. Born in Delta, Dr. Pierce was editor of the Ryerson Press between 1920 and 1960. He established several university scholarships and an excellent Canadian literature collection at Queen’s University.
The Royal Sappers and Miners
A provincial plaque at St. Mary’s Cemetery in Newboro commemorates the two companies of the British Army’s construction corps, the Royal Sappers and Miners, who were raised to work on the Rideau Canal. They built locks and military structures primarily in Bytown (Ottawa) and at the Isthmus (Newboro). One of their greatest challenges was the Newboro cut where they had to hew and blast their way through Canadian Shield granite.
The Red Brick School
A provincial plaque at the Red Brick School House in Elgin commemorates this architecturally elaborate two-room school, which opened in 1887. The school is a very early example of the late 19th century campaign to improve Ontario’s system of public education through the construction of better buildings. It also illustrates that Elgin was a forward looking community, erecting this building to showcase its local pride and commitment to progress through education.